Alta Vista performed nondestructive examination and inspection of SMUD’s natural gas pipeline and hydroelectric power generation assets, using visual (VT), ultrasonic (UT), liquid penetrant (PT), magnetic particle (MT), eddy current (ET), leak (LT), and radiographic (RT) examination methods, in accordance with ASME B31.1, B31.3 and API 1104 standards.
Alta Vista’s team of certified welding inspectors reviewed submittals for welding procedures, welder performance qualifications, procedure qualification records (PQR) and laboratory observations of test specimens. Alta Vista was also available for emergency work, routine maintenance and large-scale projects.
Alta Vista developed specific NDE procedures for the inspection of pipelines and provided training to the inspection staff on the ASME B31.1, B31.3 and API 1104 standards. The services provided included:
- UT examination to perform wall thickness survey on high pressured gas lines
- Performing NDE per API 1104 on pipeline-to-pipeline, value-to-pipeline, o-let, and plug welds
- NDE inspection of runner bolt for cracks and corrosions
- Inspection of powerhouse unit lifting beam, device and equipment for shaft and runner
- Witness the fabrication of a 20” valve and bypass assemble to include RT film review
- Witness and document hydrotest and soap-and-water testing performed during re-pressurization of pipeline
- Performance of VT, MT and PT of completed welds on a hot tap
- Penstock inspection