CONSTRUCTION PROJECT ENGINEER – CENTRAL US (NEW MEXICO/UTAH)
Alta Vista Solutions is looking for a Construction Project Engineer who is interested in working on remote transportation projects within U.S. National Parks and Forest areas. The Construction Project Engineer will be responsible for performing assigned duties on construction projects for bridges and other transportation structures. The position requires thorough knowledge of civil/structural design, construction, and material engineering techniques to plan and perform independent work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application and adaptation of these techniques, procedures and criteria.
The Construction Project Engineer is responsible for the delivery of day-to-day project engineering and project management services for an on-site roadway construction project, and will manage and administer the work through all phases of the project. The Construction Project Engineer will work closely with inspectors, contractors, subcontractors, cooperating agencies, and state DOT or FHWA staff.
- Function as technical advisor for administering and enforcing compliance with the terms of the construction contract within delegated authorities
- Manages a construction team including the supervision of construction inspectors
- Monitor, document, and advise the government on contract actions
- Provide clarification to the Construction Contractor regarding contract questions
- Review Construction Contractor’s work for compliance with the contract
- Respond to inquiries from the traveling public, landowners, and other interested parties after coordination with Construction Manager
- Supervise employees as assigned and delegate daily work assignments
- Review the construction schedule for compliance with the construction contract and for reasonableness
- Enforce safety regulations in coordination with the contract, and state and Federal regulations
- Facilitate and attend meetings with the Construction Contractor, client agencies, and the public (when requested)
- Maintain accurate construction contract records and follow established records maintenance processes
- Process submittals from receipt through approval and return to the construction contractor
- Process the construction contractor’s invoice in accordance with established agency processes
- Provide assistance to the agency representative in preparation of construction contract modifications including an independent cost estimate
- Review construction payrolls and perform labor standard interviews
- Ability to function as the construction project engineer for administering and enforcing compliance with the terms of a construction contract
- Ability to manage a construction team including the supervision of construction inspectors to monitor, document, and advise the client on contract status
- Ability to prepare contract modifications, develop independent cost estimates, review Construction Contractor progress payments for accuracy, obtain field measurements of construction materials and products, review and assist the client representative in preparing contract claim responses, document project progress (including videography and photography), develop special reports, and review contract submittals including shop drawings for compliance with the contract
- Ability to analyze Construction Contractor critical path and bar chart schedules
- Experience in construction oversight of environmental mitigation for wetlands, threatened and endangered species, sensitive species, cultural and historical resources, hazardous materials, wild and scenic rivers wildlife and fisheries, noise, visual, water, and air quality, and interagency coordination of environment concerns
- Proficiency in computer software programs including Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Proficient in transportation construction contracts, specifications, and plan interpretation
- Knowledge and experience in context-sensitive design principles, safety and labor laws and requirements, value engineering proposals, quality control/quality assurance principals, traffic control, materials and construction methods
- Experience in on-site inspection services in environmentally sensitive areas such as National Forests, Fish and Wildlife Refuges, and National Parks
- 10-Years of increasingly responsible experience in highway/bridge construction projects, including, at least six (6) years as a project or resident engineer on state or federal highway/bridge construction, or
- Licensed Professional Engineer in Civil Engineering; or BS in Civil Engineering; or BS in Construction Management, and 5 years of on-site project administration experience as a project engineer project manager for highway/bridge construction.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess effective time management skills
- Must meet internal requirements for operation of company vehicles throughout duration of employment and must maintain a valid driver’s license and insurable driving record.
- Must be willing and able to travel to job sites, sometimes for extended periods. Job sites may be located throughout western U.S., in remote areas.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, such as Word, Excel, Outlook and Teams.
- Must be able to travel 75%-100% of the time
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK CONDITIONS:
- Standing, walking, sitting, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, reaching, handling, fingering, feeling, talking, hearing, visual acuity, accommodation and color vision
- Moving, carrying and lifting objects in excess of 50 pounds
- Working extended hours and standing for extended periods of time
- Working in indoor and outdoor environments in conditions of extreme heat and cold
- Work in and near industrial hazards
- Working in remote project sites