ENGINEER II/III – SACRAMENTO
Alta Vista Solutions is seeking an Engineer Level II/III for ongoing infrastructure projects that require a civil engineering background. The level of the position will depend on the experience of the candidate.
The Engineer II/III will perform engineering services to support the Caltrans Independent Assurance Program and the Office of Roadway Materials Testing. They will provide professional services in the areas of material engineering, test result analysis, professional engineering reports, and quality management as related to these services. They must possess a solid grasp of fundamental engineering principles and exercise sound technical judgment. The responsibilities will include: working with internal and external parties o plan, develop and execute materials engineering services; preparing engineering reports; statistical analysis of testing results; data evaluation to assess accuracy and conformance; job mix formula reviews, roadway material consultation, and test method evaluation and modification; specification review and modification; literature review; and other duties as assigned. Services will be performed by or under the supervision of a Professional Engineer, and results are subject to review.
The position requires thorough knowledge of asphalt pavement design, materials, construction, and testing, and material engineering techniques to plan and perform independent work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application and adaptation of these techniques, procedures and criteria. Included in this role are analyses of construction documents, test results, reports, related literature and providing timely material related recommendations. Some travel may be required.
- Meet regularly with clients to establish and maintain open lines of communication.
- Provide clear, effective, and timely recommendations to clients.
- Assist in data acquisition, evaluation and analysis.
- Prepare calculations, technical reports, estimates and proposals.
- Write clear and concise technical reports at all levels from executive summaries to detailed statistical reports with materials engineering recommendations.
- Perform specification and test method review and modification where needed.
- Manage milestones and ensure successful completion of deliverables.
- Assist in recordkeeping and generating progress reports where needed.
- Ensure engineering services are completed on time.
- Ensure processes & procedures are documented, understood and implemented.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and manage implementation of solutions.
- Perform miscellaneous tasks as needed to support engineering services.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Effective written, interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work as part of a team involving staff, clients and outside agencies
- Ability to make good decisions using sound, professional judgment
- Knowledge of materials, methods and equipment used in physical testing of asphalt materials
- Strong problem-solving skills, including identifying data quality issues
- Strong organizational skills, including an ability to prioritize activities with limited supervision
- Detail minded, results oriented and able to complete tasks on deadline with little supervision
- Proficient using Microsoft Office (Word & Excel)
- Knowledge of material testing requirements as they relate to Caltrans Special Provisions, Standard Specifications, and Construction Manual preferred
- Knowledge of quality management systems as related to the testing of asphalt materials preferred
- B.S. in Civil Engineering or related field required
- Masters or PHD required for Engineer II
- CA P.E. required for Engineer III
- 1-7 years of professional relevant experience required; a Master’s Degree in Engineering will be considered as one year; a PHD in Engineering will be considered as three years
- Valid California Driver’s License required
- Experience working with asphalt materials or on roadway and highway related project