MATERIALS INSPECTOR – CALIFORNIA
Duties includes performing field and plant inspections during the production and placement of asphalt concrete, portland cement concrete, and other construction related material such as oil binder, aggregates, cements, and admixtures. Inspectors will also visit quarries and mine pits to witness material source sampling, stockpiling and testing samples of binders, cement admixtures and other related materials.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledgeable on the placement, sampling, and testing of materials used in state transportation projects. Knowledgeable of material testing requirements and QA/QC frequencies as they relate to Caltrans Special Provisions, Standard Specifications, and Construction Manual.
- Familiarity with weighing and batching equipment.
- Ability to interpret material test data, provide analytical determination of material acceptability, and visually recognize basic material properties throughout production and placement.
- Ability to prepare material inspection and testing reports and back up calculations.
- Work independently, make clear recommendations, prepare concise reports/documentation, and work constructively with others.
- 5 years of current experience in the inspection, sampling and testing of materials used on state transportation projects.
- Possess current California Test Method certifications for materials typically utilized in state transportation projects including CTM 105, CTM 125, CTM 201, CTM 202, CTM 205, CTM216, CTM217, CTM226, CTM227, CTM231, CTM229 CTM523, CTM524, CTM533, and CTM552.
- AASHTO – T11, T27, T166, T176, T209, T248, T255, T269, T275, T308, T329, T335, and R47 preferred.
- ACI Field – Grade 1 certification required and ACI Aggregate – Grade 1 certifications preferred.
- Experienced in performing compaction testing and certified in Nuclear Gauge Operator Training.
- Possess a valid California driver’s licenses.
- Have the ability to lift and carry a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Have experience in Material Testing in a QA role for Caltrans or Local Agencies.