MATERIALS INSPECTOR – LOS ANGELES
Alta Vista is seeking a Materials Inspector in Southern California.
Duties include performing field and plant inspections during the production and placement of asphalt, portland cement concrete, and other construction related material such as oil binder, aggregates, cements, and admixtures. Inspectors will also visit quarries and mine pits to witness material source sampling, stockpiling and testing samples of binders, cement admixtures and other related materials.
- Knowledgeable on the placement, sampling, and testing of materials used in state transportation projects. Knowledgeable of material testing requirements and QA/QC frequencies as they relate to Caltrans Special Provisions, Standard Specifications, and Construction Manual.
- Familiarity with weighing, batching, and testing equipment.
- Ability to interpret material test data, provide analytical determination of material acceptability, and visually recognize basic material properties throughout production and placement.
- Ability to prepare material inspection and testing reports and back up calculations.
- Work independently, make clear recommendations, prepare concise reports/documentation, and work constructively with others.
- Ability to operate independently, or constructively with others.
- Possess a valid California driver’s licenses and be willing to travel temporarily as needed within the State of California.
- Have the ability to lift and carry a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Have a minimum of 3 years of current experience in the inspection, sampling and testing of materials used on state transportation projects.
- Experienced in performing compaction testing and certified in Nuclear Gauge Operator Training.
- American Concrete Institute (ACI) certification for Concrete Field Testing Technician Grade 1 or similar type of certification.
- Desire to obtain additional relevant certifications.
- California Test Method (CTM) certifications for materials typically utilized in state transportation projects including CTM’s – 105, 125 HMA, 125 S&A, 201, 202, 205, 216, 217, 226, 227, 229, 231, 504, 518, 523, 524, 533, 539, 540, 543, 556, and 557.
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) certifications – T11, T27, T166, T176, T209, T248, T255, T269, T275, T308, T329, T335, R47, and R76.